Saturday, December 27, 2008
Christchurch – Past & Present #11 New Brighton Pier
The New Brighton Pier was opened in 1894. It was 210 metres long and six wide. Aside from a promenade along the pier to take in the views of Pegasus Bay, slot machines and penny peep shows provided entertainment.
Gardens along the shoreline, a bandstand, and the ubiquitous tearooms provided other forms of entertainment along with a walk along the sand for parents and paddling or bathing for the young.
The pier deteriorated in the 1950s and was dismantled in 1965.
The new pier was built in 1997, extending out to 300 metres. It is anchored by the New Brighton public library and a cafe. The New Brighton shoreline remains a popular seaside recreational spot for Christchurch residents.